Blood 2 Geforce problem?

Discuss and hash out the Blood universe here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Oh yes, it happens. Here's a video (xvid encoded)

and have another
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Actually, I installed Blood2 just the other day and have had the exact same thing happen. All the models disapear within like 10 feet including the view weapon models; this is with my GeForce 4200. I never doubted that you had the problem, I was just saying that it's a new one that I had not experienced. I'll try a few things, but I can't say what it could be just now, though I'm inclined to think it's something to do with nVidia's latest video drivers.

I'll try a few Lith settings, see if that does anything.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Odd, it may also be related to the athlon processor too

I just installed a shiny new Athlon64, used the fx5200 for a bit, the problem mentioned isn't there anymore (i can see models yey!) however the game is too fast (maxfps to the rescue.)
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Well I dont think this new bug is so much of a hardware problem. I'm running almost the exact same hardware as I was the last time I had Blood2 installed. The the CPU, mobo and the video card are all the same as they were the last time (my hard drive took a dirt name and I had to replace it)

With the fresh install it never had any of the older DirectX.s installed so I'm thinking the latest nVidia/DirectX combination may have some issues with the early Lith engine.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

A minor update: After a botched DirectX lobotomy I reinstalled Windows. This time I decided on Win2K and I'll be damed, Blood II is rendering flawlessly. I didn't even have to do the "maxfps" consol command.

The concession?
  • Windows 2000
    DirectX 8 (After installing DirectX7 first)
    Original nVidia drivers that came on the CD with my 4200
I know this probably dosen't help you in the slightest now that your running new hardware, but oh well.
r_cain
The Drinking God

Post by r_cain »

I just changed to an ATI card, and BLood2 works great now!!
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

I'm pretty sure it's the nVidia drivers. I just tried installing the latest driver set form nVidia ( 81.98 ) and all the poly rendering errors returned. Incidentaly this seems to effect Undying as well as Blood2. I would imagin it could also effect other UT based games (UT, Rune etc.)

I'm still running DirectX 8 for the time being. I'm gong to try nVidia version 77.72 and see if that changes things.

For anyone else that might be running into these problems, the nVidia archive page can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

[ Updates ]
- Installing 77.72 didn't help, downloading 66.93 now...
- I've installed 66.93 and I'm still getting the same errors. I'm starting to think that there are some leftover 81.98 driver files that 77 and 66 didn't want to overwrite.
Last edited by DustyStyx on Sat Feb 11, 2006 04:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Cruaich wrote:I would imagin it could also effect other UT based games (UT, Rune etc.)
Only their default Direct3D renderers. OpenGL has no problem.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Yes, unfortunatly Undying does not have an OpenGL option. It supports 3dfx, DirectX and software rendering... wich is kinda cool in it's own right but it has it's own rendering problems.
DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Joy! Problem fixed. I ended up installing the hardware update for the Geforce Ti 4200 they had listed on Microsoft Updates. It's fixed the problem for both Blood II and Undying. This is for Windows 2000, I don't know if it would do the same thing for XP.
da_weezle
Acolyte

Post by da_weezle »

Interesting. I also have a ti4200. But since I finally have Majora's Mask running with no problem, I'm not touching it... :D

Post by Guest »

Hello. I've been having this problem for awhile and I did a search on Google and ended up here. I tried the fix mentioned in this thread to no avail. I'm not on a Geforce card, though. I have an Integrated Media Accelerator 900. The game runs fine if I run it on Software Render but at a serious decrease to the visuals. But as soon as I turn on the Direct 3D renderer the menus start flickering. Any suggestions?
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Sounds like your card hates double or triple buffering.

Post by Guest »

Well I found a temp solution last night. Whenever I go to the menu, I open the console and just type "MaxFPS" "30". That works for the duration of the time I have the menu open. But each time I open the menu after that (including when I die), the menu goes right back to flickering. I suppose that fix is better than nothing, but it sure does get old to keep typing that in.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

If that Build of the Lithtech engine isn't stupid, you should be able to type SOMETHING like this (if bind is the proper command):
bind x "maxfps 30"

Then every time you hit x or whatever key you bind it to, that command in quotes will be entered. I know that will work in quake-based games.
-Slink